In an ideal world we would all be treated equally regardless of Sex, Race, Religion, Disability, Age, Marital or Civil Partner Status or Sexual Orientation.
Unfortunately this is still not the case; women are paid less than men for the same jobs, the older generation are dismissed from being suitable candidates for the jobs despite fantastic credentials, females are dismissed should they fall pregnant or wish to reduce their hours.
It is not always a conscious act by the wrongdoer but it is wrong in law nonetheless and often training and coaching can help minimise the risks.
There are a variety of ways in which we can help employers minimise their risk of exposure to what could undoubtedly be a very expensive Employment Tribunal (compensation for Discrimination claims are unlimited!)
Ways in which we can help are as follows
- Ensuring your Managers are fully trained in Equal Opportunities in employment, helping them to understand the difference between direct & indirect discrimination and less favourable treatment
- Conducting Equal Pay Audits & Job Evaluations
- Drafting or responding to Discrimination Questionnaires
- Advising on how to deal with issues such as; Pregnancy, Maternity Leave & Cover, Disability, Religious Holidays, Grievance, Harassment, Victimisation
- Circumstances in which (in certain circumstances) discrimination might be justified.